Looking for more ?

Use Search feature or Check the ‘ Table of Contents ‘ for entire list 🙏

Paper folded 50 times will reach the Sun : Common sense misconceptions


Common sense is something that in most cases we rely on, but can actually cause many misconceptions, and can also sometimes be harmful or dangerous.


Video link : https://youtu.be/C6ViU8YWuoc







With common sense, we extrapolate our ideas or judge other phenomena, things, or sequences based on our other similar limited experiences.

The reason I am talking about this today is that I just came across this example and I thought I will share it. 

The question is -  Can you fold a sheet of paper 50 times where every time you fold it, you double it and its thickness?

Most people will answer -" sure, why not! "

You ask them to try it !!

and very soon they will realize that they can do it about 6 times! not even 7!

Here is the major mind-boggler, do you know that regular paper folded 50 times 

will reach The Sun  ~ or become 112 Million Km thick ???

Additional fact folding it 42 times will reach the Moon.


Common sense does not tell us that...




This reminds me of a similar concept to this is a question or puzzle I read as a kid:

Question - what choice would you make if I said
(1) I will give you a Million dollars today 
or 
(2) I will give you One dollar today and double it every day for a month?

In the second option, you will make 1000x times 1 million i.e. you will make more than a billion $1,073,741,824 dollars to be precise.  

The first paper-folding example seems more prone to common sense errors I think.


Just sharing thoughts...



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~